Calling all sign painters, and vintage sign artists…
Project: 185 is moving into the second of three exhibitions, all celebrating Thomasville’s incorporation as a City 185 years ago.
This second exhibition will focus on industries that sparked Thomasville’s notable economic success. After nearly two centuries, Thomasville’s industry is more vibrant than ever! The next exhibition, Sign of the Times, will have artists painting signs of historic, iconic businesses in real time at Grassroots.
Once an Artist Collective member has applied and been chosen for this challenge, he/she will be given a historic image (courtesy of Thomas County Historical Society) of a sign that was used for Thomasville's business industry. The artist will then submit their concept for the sign, and once approved, the artists will begin to rotate painting once a week each in real time, over a two-month period starting June 6th. The signs will hang in the coffee shop through August 28th, 2016. At the end of the exhibition, the signs will become the property of the business/industry sponsor. Each artist will then be paid $300 each for their sign.
Online Gallery Application Rules
Theme Information for Artists:
Before you submit your work, please read carefully:
- Work should reflect the theme - this theme is NEW WORK
- Price your work $500 or less
- No more than two (2) submissions per online exhibition
- Submit original, never-before-shown art ONLY. No teacher-directed art
- You may submit artwork of any medium (photography, pastels, pen and ink, sculpture, etc)
- All artwork must be photographed (or scanned) at the highest resolution possible. Please crop any framed images, so that only the artwork itself is visible.
- All work is juried. If selected, notification will be emailed within three (3) days of submission
- If chosen, work will be on exhibition in the Collective's online gallery
- Work for sale in the online gallery cannot be for sale in any other location during the show